Monday, September 15, 2008

Saber-Toothed Cat

Since this blog will cover all sorts of species of prehistoric wildlife, I just did not want to limit it to dinosaurs. I've actually always been more fascinated with prehistoric mammals than dinosaurs. I'm not really sure why, maybe because many of the species lived in the time of humans. One of my favorite of these mammals is the all powerful Smilodon. The Smilodon is believed to have lived approximately 2.5 million to 10,000 years ago. What I found interesting was that is was thought to have been built more powerfully and stocky like a bear, rather than the sleeker big cats we see today. Here in my drawing, I went a little overboard with the cat's size compared to the vulture and the mammoth. I could try to say that the poor mammoth is a baby...but look at those tusks! Anyhow, the saber-tooth is in just as much trouble as it's prey, because that black stuff they are sinking in, is not water. I'm not sure if that is a look of aggression, or fear.

11 comments:

Matt said...

Holy cow! I love this:D

Corysaur said...

So freaking sweet man. I love what youre doing to make your own dinos. Im doing the same thing. Keep it up!

Unknown said...

Wow, really nice work!

Mariana Moreno said...

WOOOW! Rob! I can't believe you did this blog!! I just LOVE it! I'm a dinosaur fan too since I was very little! These illustrations of yours are just awewsome, congrats!

Big regards from Mexico!

Mariana Moreno said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your comments! I really appreciate it coming from such a great artist like you! :D

Big regards from Mexico!

Kevin Myers said...

Gotta love those illustrations. I will definitely be keeping an eye on ya.

Oscar González Loyo said...

WOOOAWWWWW!!!!!

I'm your Fan Rob!!!!

Greetings from México!

http://sketchbookdeogl.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

very cool my friend-

Unknown said...

Fantastic Robb!!!

Greetings from Brazil!

alexpal said...

Robb????? No way man ¿you found my blog? That´s awesome, it´s an honor buddy... your´s as always is very cool.

Did you saw my other blog, the illos are very very old but it´s part of my history, I''ll get to actualize it one of this days he he.

Take care man, greetings to family!

Alex.

Unknown said...

wow! awesome work! I like paleontology and comics art!

If you want, you can visit my website and see my dinosaurs illustrations.

http://gadrien.canalblog.com